In Windows operating system, whenever you plug-in a USB drive or an external hard drive, an Autoplay option would appear on your computer screen. It is very useful as you can directly access the contents of those drives. In this way your time is saved. But sometimes you may find that Autoplay option is not appearing on the screen, when any external drive is connected to your PC. In such cases the Autoplay option has been affected and there are many reasons responsible for this. There are many reasons responsible for it. This issue can be fixed by following the steps mentioned below.
Steps to fix the Autoplay option
Here are two important scenarios when the Autoplay option would not appear on the screen and the solution to fix them are mentioned below:
Scenario 1: If the AutoPlay option appears only for the first time while plug-in a device or inserting a disc.
If the device is plugged in then you should right click on it and then select Open Autoplay. If the device is not plugged in, then press the Shift key and then plug in the device. Then you would be able to see the Autoplay option. And if you want to appear it every time, whenever a device is plugged in , then follow the steps mentioned below:
- By clicking the Start button open AutoPlay by typing the word Autoplay in the search box and press enter and then click on AutoPlay.
- The list displayed beside the device or the type of disc, click on Ask me every time.
In this way, whenever you plug-in any device, this option will appear every time.
Scenario 2: AutoPlay does not start when a device is plugged in.
This generally happens when a Group Policy restricts it. And this can be fixed by following the steps mentioned below:
- Close other programs that might be interfering by accessing the device or media directly.
- Click the Start button, then select All Programs, tab on Accessories, and then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt, you have to type net start shellhwdetection, and press Enter.
- Now reboot your system.
After this you will find that Autoplay would appear every time when a device is inserted in the system.
For more information, visit: